Monday, August 10, 2009

Jaded

People tell me I'm too young to be jaded.

Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not.

I like to think of myself as an optimistic pessimist.

I do struggle though. Not so much with my emotions. But with other people's emotions.

I try to understand. But in the end, you can only understand if you yourself are in that situation, whatever situation that may be.

I have a fairly difficult time trusting people. Even people I've known for years.

I just believe most people hide. They hide their true feelings, true opinions, true thoughts. People keep things to themselves because society might have labeled those feelings, opinions, thoughts as inappropriate. Or wrong. And people fear being judged. They fear rejection.

I feel like people pretend a lot. And although I always have my gut-feeling when someone isn't being genuine, how do you call a person out on that? They only end up covering it up with more lies, tightening the mask they have strapped to their face.

I'm guilty of all of this, too. And I fucking hate it.

I guess it's a part of being human?

Shit sucks.

2 comments:

Stevie said...

Your post really makes me think of this month's book actually. I've already finished reading it, but I won't give anything away. It definitely has one pondering how well he or she really knows a person.

I agree with your words, we are afraid of being judged and fail to live up to our personal standards. Reading your thoughts is a good reminder for me to be true to what I believe, especially when it's hardest.

Jamie said...

I had a great poop today and thought, "Man, I wish Aleks was here to share this with me." Just be your awesome self, have A LOT of patience, show people you're not the kind they need to hide from, and hope they'll get the picture eventually. Jaded's not bad as long as you're taking things with a pinch of salt and not a bowl. Too much sodium is bad for your heart ;)