Sunday, October 3, 2010

My first graphic design project

Assignment: Create 2 posters for the band "Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros" using only type.


The one on top was critiqued during class. Although there are some white space issues, the professor said that it was elegant and that it created a shape, something people are drawn to. *high five*

What I learned: Illustrator isn't the bitch I thought it was. It was just a matter or time and practice. And of course the Lynda.com videos that I have been watching. They help out a lot.

I also learned that I thoroughly enjoy the creative process: The brainstorming, the writing down of ideas, the sketching of comps with pencil. I think I am better at that than the actual execution of the design... which is probably a bad thing but whatevsies. The reason I suck at the execution is cause I am still learning the programs.

I look forward to when we get to use Indesign. Then everyone is going down.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

I actually like the negative space on the first one. In my opinion, it lets the words breathe a lot.

Great job!

I'm going to have to ask you tons of questions cause I've been using Illustrator at work and I'm running out of ideas hehe

bacci bacci

Oleñka said...

Ha! Thanks for the kind words Daniel! Yeah Illustrator is a bitch in the beginning, but then it grows on ya. :)

I'm no expert but I will try to help out!

Daniel said...

Yeah, at first I was pretty intimidated but tutorial videos are soooo helpful! I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned.

My biggest problem is that since everyone in the museum is an "artist" they all have something to say about my designs haha.

Jamie said...

The first one definitely catches your attention more, but I love them both. Maybe eventually you'll be in charge of other people and you won't have to be good at the execution shit as long as you can convey your ideas to your minions... like a real designer! :)