Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Oreos and wine

Proxart hosts monthly mixers for artists to get together and mingle. I've never been to one before, but since altSCV sponsored February's mixer, I figure it would be a good idea to show up.

I'm glad I did. I had a blasty blast.

I only knew a handful of people, mostly Proxart people I've worked with before, but I met a helluva lot of other artistic and talented people.

People from Pasadena and L.A. came, too.

One of my favorite things in the world is to be surrounded with creative minds. There's just something so magical about it. Whether you know a person or not, knowing that he or she has set aside time in this busy thing we like to call life to mingle with others in the name of art makes me happy.

Really happy.

I woke up this morning and I was just stoked. My mother even commented on my unusually perky mood this a.m.

I get stoked when people get together and do something. Something productive. Something  no one has instructed them to do. Something fun and creative.

That's why I've always been a fan of organizations like Proxart. Here is a group of young 20-something-year-olds who banded together to create something. A group. A movement. A voice.

And it isn't a voice that just complains that there isn't anything to do in SCV. They create things to do.

The event was hosted at Romo Studio in Newhall. It was my first time there and as soon as I walked in the door I felt as if I was transported to an artist's loft in downtown L.A. Badass. Paintings hung on the walls, paint brushes skewed all about, photographs, empty frames and even a guitar.

Wine, beer, chips and oreos were served (WIN) and people talked. Talked about art. Talked about altSCV. Talked about Proxart. Talked about Kreativ. Talked about growing up in the SCV.

I was chit-chatting with Nathan Ryan from Proxart and Kreativ and at one point in our conversation, he started to clap. I naturally decided to join and before you knew it, the entire room was clapping. It was a clap-wave. Nathan Ryan and I died laughing.

You can't stage moments like that. Amazing.

The night was a complete success and I can't wait til the next one.

Especially if there will be wine and oreo cookies.









1 comment:

KellyJane said...

Awesome article....Thanks Leksifer! I look forward to the next Proxart mixer!