Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Trying a Tri

I've been running relatively consistently since July 2010 with the goal of running a half marathon and then maybe a full marathon down the line. I've ran four 5K races at the end of 2010 and it's about time to step it up a bit.

So I've decided to do a triathlon.

Clayton, who is an avid cyclist, suggested the June Lake sprint triathlon on July 9. I naturally and without hesitation accepted the challenge because a.) I have an addiction explained in this post, and b.) I have been swimming pretty consistently since January and felt that completing a sprint triathlon wouldn't be too, too hard.

Confident as all hell, I went too Mammoth Lakes this past weekend to run for the first time at an elevation higher than I'm used to.

Castaic elevation: 1,500 feet
Mammoth Lakes elevation: 7,900 feet

I knew it was going to be harder, but when I ran/walked roughly 3.6 miles in Mammoth last Saturday, my heart nearly exploded. The side cramp from hell wasn't any help, either, but I didn't imagine running there would be as tough as it was.

This, naturally, scared me so now I've turned up my training notch to prepare for the tri. I essentially have 10 weeks to train.

FML.

2 comments:

ScottE said...

You can do it. Start slow. Be consistent. Have a plan but be flexible. Make sure your goal is attainable. Oh yeah, have fun. Break your attitude!

Jamie said...

I think you'll be good with your week to adjust to the elevation. Smart move. Good luck in training!! P.S. Very jealous.