Friday, June 19, 2009

A call to volunteer

Although I feel like I will never fully understand politics (that's pretty much asking for a life-long migraine. No thanks), I do poke my nose in and out of the scene to see what is going on.

I found Obama's recent call for every American to volunteer in their own community very interesting.

Do you history buffs know of any other president that did this?

It's programs like these that make me like Obama. He's meeting with millions of people in other countries, making appearances and speeches, trying to figure out how to save the auto industry, cracking down on banks, and essentially trying to fix the economy... and then he pulls a program like this for Americans.

Starting June 22, the Obama Administration is launching a "United We Serve" initiative. A call for every American, young and old, from every background, to go out in their community and volunteer.

And it's about time Americans themselves look inward if they want this "change" they keep raving about to happen.

Check it out at here. You can search for groups to volunteer at, or you can register your own.

How awesome would America be if EVERYONE did volunteer somewhere?

I have been meaning to volunteer somewhere for a while now, and I just don't kick my own ass enough to do it. I think I shall sign up somewhere by June 22 and finally do it.

And then I can say Obama was the one to kick my lazy ass out of my seat and volunteer!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I hear you on the "always meant to but never did" thing. Course I don't fill my days with much so I don't really have any excuse.