Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Recording

I don't consider myself a shy person, and I typically have no problem talking about myself or showing off my talents... whether they are through speaking, writing, designing, or photography.

My music is a completely different story.

I don't know why exactly. It could have to do with the fact that music is so dear to me, and I am therefore more protective about sharing it, and having it critiqued.

Maybe it's the fact that I have a personal relationship with my music, and I like to keep it to myself.

Maybe it's the perfectionist is me, and I never feel like my music is good enough.

Whatever it is, I suffer from an extreme degree of performance anxiety.

I shake and start sweating every time I pick up my guitar in front of someone. I still get nervous when I rehearse with Cary, and he's been there with me since day one.

It took practically 6 months in the making, but my good friend Jeremy hooked me up with his good friend Bobby who has a recording studio in his apartment in Hollywood. After a few months of trying to find a date to record, Bob finally had an open spot this past Sunday.

I woke up extremely anxious. Jeremy texted me saying the recording session might be canceled and to be honest, I almost felt relieved. I didn't want to go record my music, anyway.

Nathan was a trooper and he dealt with my moody ass. He was really supportive and worked with me on getting over my anxiety.

I got another text from Jeremy saying the recording session was on for 3 pm.

I feel silly now looking back at how emotional and nervous I was. The recording session was beyond amazing.


Bob was intensely kind and made me feel right at home in his home and studio. He let me play one one of his guitars since he had everything already set up and ready for me to record acoustic. It took a bit of getting used to hearing myself sing through the headphones, but it really was an amazing experience.

I messed up a few times on the first 2 songs cause I was still getting over my anxiety and getting used to the headphones, but I nailed the second two songs on the first time. Jeremy and Bob were both impressed with my voice and my music, which I took as a GREAT compliment. I think it also settled some nerves.

Cary came with me, and he was being surprisingly supportive. He was in the recording studio with me the entire time, comforting and encouraging me. He even stayed with me during my warm up session to get used to the set up.

After Bob burned us a CD with our four songs on it, I walked out of his apartment pumped, refreshed, encouraged, and stoked. Hearing myself sing through the speakers was weird the first time through, but when I listened to it again, I'm proud of myself for overcoming my anxiety.

Now it's time to share my music. And continue making more.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So...where are the tracks so we can listen to them?

Mike Mallinson said...

Make more - that's awesome! You should post them on here or on Twitter at some point for the rest of us :-)

Jamie said...

Sounds like a great experience! Glad you sucked it up :)