Monday, September 13, 2010

Success: Completed my first 5K

Running in the Santa Monica 5K yesterday was fantasmagorical. I never thought running could be so much fun.

XX and I woke up at 5:20 am, got dressed and jumped in the car by 5:40. We ate our breakfast on the way down – I had one cliff bar and half a Gatorade, XX had two cliff bars and a full Gatorade.

I hate eating before working out, especially this early in the morning, but I forced it down since I knew I was going to need the energy.

After picking up our numbers (I was 106,), we ran a bit to stretch out and prepare for the race. We positioned ourselves near the front of the starting line, I gave XX a I'll-see-you-at-the-finish-line-kiss, and at the sound of the blow-horn, away we went!

The sound of all those feet running toward one goal was pretty badass. I pulled over to the side to let all the Speedy-Mc-Speedters pass my slow ass, which was fine. I figured some of these people would burn themselves out and I would eventually pass them.

My goal was to keep going no matter what. If my hip started to hurt, too bad. If a cramp decided to stab me in my side, too bad. If my shoulder were to spasm (as it often does), too bad.

I was pretty amazed at the amount of people who passed me. It kept going and going. I almost felt fat and bad about myself running so slow... but then I saw people walking and any negative thoughts were kicked to the curb. HA! I ain't walking, bitches!

I'm proud to say that I stayed the course and ran the entire 5K without stopping. I ran at a steady pace the entire time and only started to cramp up a bit during the last kilometer, in which I responded by speeding up.

Naturally, I felt accomplished when I crossed that finish line. I sort of sprinted toward the end. Apparently the announcer even said my name over the PA system, but I was in the zone and didn't hear him.

I ended up running the 3.12 miles in roughly 35 minutes.

Now I have a time to beat for the next one.

Afterward, my mom took XX and I out to breakfast at a poshy place called Canali Cafe. Having my mom come out and support us meant a lot.

I'm stoked, too, cause now I have a new found respect for running... and I want to continue doing it.

No chip, no time!
106 baby.
Giving my mom a wake-up call.
I did it!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

CONGRATS!!!!! See? Its different when you do a race. Your body responds in such a different way. Its all the adrenaline and endorphins :-) Y

You know what happens now? You'll want to do another 5k and then a 10K and then a Half and next thing you know you'll be training for a full marathon and LIKE HELL YOU'RE DOING IT WITHOUT ME!$!$!! :-)

We should totally do the SC Half.

love ya.

Jamie said...

You guys look like shit at the end... and I mean that in the most sincerely positive way possible :D

When I was in cross country in HS, I remember I was nearing a finish line and my coach was cheering me on and I started walking and he's like, "Keep going!" And I'm like, "I think I'm going to throw up!" And he said, "If you have to throw up, do it, but keep running!!"

SUPER CONGRATS, BABE :)